Thursday, December 24, 2020

I won't even wish for snow

Dear future hubster, 
when we (the world) first watched Love Actually, that grand finale scene at the school Christmas play seemed very cute on many levels.
Looking at it today, it was also a bit of a prophecy. Remember when the girl points at everybody's favourite little drummer boy saying "all I want for Christmas is you", and he practically melts and we all go awwww? But then she keeps pointing at pretty much everybody in the room saying "and you and you and you", and he's well, a little grumpy, understandably.
Now imagine them playing a show 2020-style, to an empty auditorium, with their audience watching online. All they want for Christmas is us. All of us.
Or, try if you can, with a wild somersault of your imagination, picture being a person in 2020 who hasn't seen, for most of the year, most of their favourite people other than on screens, from the shoulder up. I for one admit without hesitation, that yes I want you, dear future hubster, for the Christmases to come, and I also want a great many other people. 
I never thought that girl represents me (she's an amazing singer with admirable confidence, and I would never take a flight on Christmas Eve out of London. What were they thinking? And having a school play the same afternoon? What could possibly go wrong?), yet here we are. All I want for Christmas is you and you and you and you. And you. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment