Saturday, September 19, 2020

Even cold November rain

 Dear future hubster, 

it's been a while. Time is a social construct and it's perceived differently depending on the circumstances, and the circumstances this year, I don't need to tell you, have been all over the place. Yeah I also moved countries and started working remotely so now I have 3 very distant time zones to manage but that's just the kind of things I do. 

And yet. Something has been off, or maybe everything has been off. While rationally I very well understand why it's difficult for the fascinating but also somehow dumb human brain to deal with uncertainty of this depth, width, and length, I do not particularly enjoy the experience. At all. And I have a hunch that I'm not the only one. Maybe you, dear future hubster, live in one of those neighbourhoods where they organise collective screaming at 5 pm, and if you do, I both envy and applaud you. Assuming you do participate, otherwise I think our future marriage needs to be reconsidered. Or maybe you took up some serious home-workout routine like my infamous upper neighbour in Geneva, or you've become an excellent home cook or DIY guru, all of which will be deeply appreciated by your future wife (me) when the time comes. 

However. All of these coping mechanisms are exactly that - ways to make life bearable under the current, mostly unpleasant, and hopefully temporary conditions. Some of them might be good habits that we hope would stick, but even with those, most of us are using them to help us sit this out. And it feels like we've been sitting for an eternity now, that there is nothing left to look forward to, that the only things that do happen are bad things. 

I have been feeling that way too. At times more hopeless and helpless than others. It's hard to look further than tomorrow when there is so many things that we don't know, and continue not knowing. 

It's no big news to anybody who knows me a little that when I feel that way I turn to the wise words of others. Mostly somewhat established, somewhat tacky pop stars. Music is good for you, and you don't have to feel guilty for thinking and saying those tacky words, somebody with royalty rights does it for you. Some tell you to carry on, to fight till it's over, others that it's just a moment, and this too shall pass.

And when it feels like we're never getting out of this dark, no-perspective ditch of lockdowns and hurt and pain, there is one more thing to keep in mind. I'm sure he wasn't the first one to come up with this groundbreaking thought, but if there is one thing that we've learnt from good old Axl (other than the singular "they"!) then it's that nothing lasts forever. Even this nonsense will come to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment