Friday, January 22, 2016

Or be square

Dear future hubster,
I've always found it hard to determine my preferred love language. I always thought time and attention were the most important factors for me, and I never had to wonder whether I was touchy. I am. Tactile till the bitter end.
But then I was accused of being a notorious gift-giver, and when I have a good long look inside, I know I'm guilty as charged. I suspect it's more a display of my insecurities and means that I try to leave my mark (the same way I forget pieces of jewelry everywhere), but I can't deny that I have certain Santa-tendencies. 
Then, in one of my extremely wise moments, I realized two things. 
One: I'm trying to anxiously fit myself into a category, because I hope it will be a relief, to finally have rules in something as slippery and amorphous as love. This should be the manual I've been desperately looking for!
Two: All love languages come basically come down to one: being there. You're there through your kind words, your back rubs, your motivational mugs, your banana breads, or you're not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment